Digital marketing is a relatively new but rapidly developing career field. It comes with numerous job options, decent salaries, and employment flexibility. No wonder a lot of people look into it as a promising opportunity.
Although a college education in Marketing is helpful, it is not necessary to start in this industry. One can learn independently and look for digital marketing part time jobs to gain experience and valuable skills before applying for a full-time position.
If it is something you’ve been thinking about, this guide is exactly what you need. Together with Jooble professionals, we’ve created this guide for beginners.
The Beginner’s Guide to Digital Marketing Career
Realize Pros and Cons
Before putting your time and effort into something, look into it deeply. Digital marketing is a good choice in terms of demand for professionals and many growth opportunities. Every brand and company exists online in the modern world. And all of them need experts to help reach the target audience. Yet, it requires a specific mindset.
- A promising career with decent salary rates;
- It allows working online and remotely;
- One can be a freelancer, contractor, or work for a brand;
- One can set a flexible work schedule;
- There is a lot of room for professional development.
- It requires structure, analytics, statistics, and system to be effective at achieving goals;
- One needs to be ready to constantly learn new tools and follow trends;
- One might work irregular hours.
If all of that is fine with you, it is time to get to work.
Learn the Basics
First of all, it is a large field with many specializations. Some focus on SEO, some on paid advertising campaigns, and others work with content creation. Secondly, no marketer knows everything perfectly. A food professional knows the fundamentals but concentrates on a particular niche.
Start by researching the basic concepts, such as:
- Social media management;
- Paid advertising campaigns;
- Blogging, copywriting, and content creation;
- Inbound and outbound marketing;
- Email marketing;
- Influencer marketing, etc.
Also, learn about the psychology lying behind consumer behaviour and marketing strategies.
Choose Credible Sources
If you have no education or experience in marketing, it might be complicated to find reliable sources. There are several ways to approach self-paced learning here:
- Books – choose those written by industry leaders and the most recent ones;
- Online blogs and video tutorials (start with Ahrefs, HubSpot, Moz, or Neil Patel blogs);
- Take courses online (from HubSpot, Moz Academy, or the Digital Marketing Institute);
- Learn from Facebook Blueprint about paid advertising;
- Google Skillshop teaches about their marketing software tools.
For future employment, it is also extremely useful to gain certification. One can go for a Google Ads certificate.
It is possible to gain knowledge and experience at the same time. One can start with launching a personal website or blog. It might serve as a portfolio and practice ground for new skills.
Also, one can focus on social media marketing and run one or several accounts to implement learned techniques and strategies.
The next step will be to find freelance gigs or jobs. You can start small and move into bigger projects while creating a list of happy clients.
Those who prefer to work at a company might look into volunteering options, internships, or apprenticeships.
Apply for Jobs
Now as you have knowledge, skills, experience, and recommendations, it is time to begin a job search. Of course, if you do not intend on being a freelancer or digital nomad.
Update your resume – add measurable results and successful projects, and mention certifications and crucial skills, both hard and soft ones. Focus on your desire to constantly learn and grow as a professional.
Digital marketing is a promising industry with diverse employment opportunities. One can focus on creating digital content, running paid social media advertising campaigns, or optimizing website performance for organic traffic. In any case, it is important to always stay on top of trends as this sphere is in permanent development.