Shilpa Shetty (born 8 June 1975) is a famous Indian actress and model known for her acting in some of India’s most popular movies. She entered the Bollywood showbiz through ‘Baazigar’ in 1993 with co-actor Shah Rukh Khan. Besides, she has also acted in popular movies like ‘Main Khiladi Tu Anari’, ‘Phir Milenge’, and ‘Dhadkan’ and has been nominated for Filmfare Awards for her work. The beautiful and talented actress has already appeared in more than 40 movies.
She received worldwide attention when she joined “Celebrity Big Brother” and faced terrible racism from other players to win the competition. Besides, her work on screen and television, Shilpa is a businesswoman and fitness enthusiast who has her fitness program available for purchase. Further, read her life journal or biography to know more.
Parents, Siblings, Family and Early Life
Shilpa Shetty also is known as Shilpa Shetty Kundra is 45 years old as of 2020. She was born on 1975, 8th June in Mangalore, Karnataka. Her zodiac sign is Gemini. Shilpa’s father’s name is Surendra Shetty and her mother is Sunanda Shetty. Both are the manufacturers of tamper-proof water caps in the pharmaceutical industry. Her younger sis Shamita Shetty is also an actress.
Shilpa attended a girls’ school in Mumbai and later attended Podar College in Mumbai. She was passionate about dancing and music from her childhood, thus used to learn Bharatanatyam during her childhood days. Besides, she was a sports enthusiast and thus was chosen as the team captain of volleyball at school. It was after finishing her education in 10th she headed towards modeling in the year 1991.
The model made her an on-screen introduction several years later in 1993 in the thriller film ‘Baazigar’. She earned two Filmfare Awards nominations for her work, including one nomination for best supporting actress.
Shilpa Shetty Bollywood
Following her big break out, Shilpa acted in a series of unsuccessful movies. During this unsuccessful streak, Shilpa earned some recognition for one of her songs in the crime drama ‘Shool’. In 2000, Shilpa made a comeback starring as the leading lady in the drama ‘Dhadkan’. After the success of the film, she had several successful roles in popular movies, including ‘Indian,’ ‘Rishtey,’ ‘Dus’, ‘Life in a Metro,’ and ‘Phir Milenge’. She got critical acclaim for several of the roles and earned multiple Filmfare Awards nominations for her work.
As a Show judge
In 2008, Shilpa took a break from acting and pursued several other projects. The actress was a judge on the dance reality program called ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa’ and entered the fifth season of ‘Celebrity Big Brother’. On Big Brother, the actress got international recognition for the racism she underwent on the show. Also, Shilpa hosted the second season of ‘Bigg Boss’ and judged numerous Indian dance competitions shows, including ‘Zara Nachke Dikha’ in 2010, ‘Nach Baliye’ from 2012 to 2014, and ‘Super Dancer’ in 2016.
Other acknowledged ventures
She loves fitness and has her own fitness program
From the year 2009 to 2015, Shetty was a part-owner in the Indian Premier League association ‘Rajasthan Royals’. Shilpa has been associated with philanthropic work as well.
She is vocal about women’s rights and animal powers and received the Champions of Change award for her effort on the Swachh Bharat Mission tidiness campaign.
Husband, Children, Married Life
Shilpa Shetty got married to Raj Kundra, British Businessman in the year 2009. The couple has a son named Viaan Raj Kundra and a daughter Samisha Shetty Kundra.
Shilpa has a stunning physical appearance. She has 5 feet 7 inches in height, with a bodyweight of 60 Kgs. Besides, she looks marvelous and youthful with her earthy colored hair and bright brown eyes.
Shilpa’s awards and honors
- She earned an honorary doctorate from the University of Leeds.
- Grabbed PETA hero awards to animals in 2017.
- HT India’s most stylish awards in 2018.
Shilpa Shetty controversies
- In 2006, the Madurai court issued a non-bailable warrant against Shilpa for posing obscenely in a Tamil newspaper.
- Richard Gere kissing Shilpa not only became a big controversy involving the actress, but it also built legal problems for her.
- She was one of the contestants of the British reality TV show ‘Celebrity Big Brother 5’ where she was alleged to be the target of racism and bullying by some of the housemates.
- Raj Kundra’s ex-wife openly accused Shilpa of breaking up their marriage.
- The former owner of the IPL team Rajasthan Royals was also alleged of being involved in the IPL match-fixing case.
Shilpa is the megastar of Indian cinema and falls in the category of highest-paid actors across the globe. Her total net worth as of today is Rs 134 crore (INR) and $18 million (USD).
Shilpa’s recent movies include
In 2020, she appeared in the movie ‘Nikamma’ after a long break. Besides, she also worked in another movie named ‘Hungama 2’.
Lesser known facts about Shilpa
- Shilpa Shetty and Akshay Kumar’s affair was one of the most famous affairs with B Town. Besides, she also dated Anubhav Sinha (Film director).
- Shilpa Shetty is considered a good nutritionist, she is the co-author of a book on health and nutrition titled ‘The Great Indian Diet’ along with Luke Coutinho.
- Shetty is also a black belt in karate.
- Shilpa uses yoga to clear stress and tension and to increase vitality.
- Shilpa Shetty is a big fan of animal calligraphed dresses and is mostly seen donning similar printed clothes.
- A British productions company produced a documentary on her called – ‘The Real Shilpa Shetty’.
- She is the founder of Viaan Mobiles, a perfume brand named S2, and an online shopping site BestDealTV.
- Shilpa has a massive social media following and is one of India’s most-followed personalities. Today she has 17.2 million followers on Instagram, 6 million followers on Twitter, 2.5 million followers on Facebook, and 2.1 million YouTube subscribers.